Blog de Musique

This is a music blog. Different kinds of music. And commentary on said music. Most of the files uploaded will be AAC files (because I'm an Apple guy) so you best have iTunes to play them. Sorry if you don't. (If any links are dead, leave a comment and I'll reupload.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I buy way too much music for my own good and then waste my time talking about what music I've bought on my blog.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Hello Disaster: The Young and The Useless

Good lord, I'd been looking for this for the longest time. I used to have the cassette version when I was in high school but traded it in. (Most likely because I stole some money from my parents and needed to scrape money together to pay them back. But that's a story for another day.)

Anyway, Hello Disaster were a band from L.A. They were a Sunset Strip/Club Lingerie/Coconut Teazer/Gazarri's band. But I first heard them on the radio when Rodney (Bigenheimer) on the ROQ played their song, Native Son. The video was also constantly shown on Request Video. On a trip to Aron's, I got the cassette and loved it. Great sort of hard rock with a glam Hanoi Rocks feel to it. Native Son was a great singalong. I don't think they made it anywhere past the L.A. scene but apparently (I never saw them live), they opened up for both the Manics AND Birdland. Not a bad thing to have on your resume, if you ask me.

So anyway, last year, I started thinking about Hello Disaster and began a quest to find this CD. And as suspected, it was probably the hardest things to find since they probably only pressed up 1,000 and, let's be honest, most of them probably ended up in the cut-out bins in 1992. But I finally found one on eBay. Got it for a fiver. (Because, gee, nobody outbid me.) And man, I can see why I liked the Manics. These songs could easily be on Generation Terrorists. (I'm Not Making Any) Apologies, Native Son and the title track are straight up anthems. I've very happy to have this one in my collection. I'm not letting it go again.

(i'm not making any) apologies
make up your mind
the young and the useless
native son
the kids are all dead

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5CK4DH9N

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This album still rules after all these years, I remember when this came out and I ordered the cd, I wish this was on vinyl. Thanks for posting this.

10:11 PM, July 13, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know one of the band mates, I am friends with his daughter!

3:50 PM, June 24, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember this band back in the day. It's one of the first "brickwalled" recordings out there.

2:30 PM, November 04, 2013  
Blogger Unknown said...

2019 i still listen too

5:07 PM, July 16, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember them. really cool band. It only came out in CD and cassette only.

11:39 AM, February 24, 2020  
Blogger Karl Bakla said...

I remember picking this up from Tower Outlet in the 90s and not really digging it, but it slowly grew on me... not sure what the other bands mates went on to but Shaun went on to be in the Living End and Damnation, which are slightly more punk

7:41 PM, April 09, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home